What starts as a conversation on homeschooling multiple children turns into a rich discussion on the nature of learning, teaching, and avoiding the pitfalls of home education.
Missy Andrews Joins Yvette Hampton to share wisdom from her many years as a homeschool mom, curriculum publisher, and literature expert.
Come back Wednesday and Thursday for the rest of this conversation.
Watch this full conversation on our YouTube channel.
This week Missy and Yvette cover the following topics:
- Is it really possible for me to give my kids a top drawer, literary education when I am just one person - and maybe not even a very well-educated person?
- How can the concept of mastery education intensify the already substantial burden that homeschooling parents carry?
- How might clarifying our definition of education free us from the tyranny of booklists?
- If education isn't a list of facts and books, then what is it?
- If education is less about how many books you read and more about how you read them, then my booklist just got a lot shorter! Isn't this too good to be true?
- How might an unexamined view of success and identity complicate the homeschooling process?
- How does the gospel liberate us to homeschool our kids joyfully and graciously?
The Gift of Fire, by Ritchard Mitchell
Paradise Lost, by John Milton
The Lost Tools of Learning, by Dorothy Sayers
Center for Lit - Teaching the Classics Basic Seminar
Reading Roadmaps, by Missy Andrews
My Divine Comedy: A Mother's Homeschooling Journey, by Missy Andrews
Wild Bells: A Literary Advent, by Missy Andrews
Hop, Skip, and a Rhyme: Literary Devices for Young Writers, by Megan Andrews
RECOMMENDED PODCAST EPISODES:
Docendo Discimus, "By Teaching, We Learn" - Dr. Christopher Perrin, of Classical Academic Press
It's not too late to enjoy the Homegrown Generation Family Expo. Rachael Carman was a speaker in both 2023 and 2020! Register today for lifetime access to every session - and BONUS access to the 2020 conference. Save 25% on registration when you use the coupon code PODCAST today!
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
Be the most popular mom in your co-op. Get your Homegrown Generation merch here.
CTCMath - CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ's power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.