“If you make homeschooling an ultimate thing instead of a subordinate thing in service of the truth of God and the love of God in Christ Jesus for sinners, that kind of truth and knowledge that homeschooling itself will be perverted. It will become an idolatrous demon that devours you and your kids wholesale.” – Missy Andrews
Yvette Hampton welcomes guest Missy Andrews, from the Center For Lit, who shares her homeschooling journey and her passion for moms, homeschooling, and discipleship. Missy reflects on her own experience with homeschooling, acknowledging its noble purpose but also the damage she caused when making it an ultimate thing. Throughout the episode, Missy emphasizes the importance of knowing one's identity, which comes from God.
Come back tomorrow for the rest of this important conversation.
Watch this full conversation on our YouTube channel.
Missy Andrews shares her realization that true identity and grace come from God, leading to a change in her understanding of education and a gracious approach to homeschooling. She highlights the importance of admitting ignorance and the need for God in the learning process. Missy discusses the liberation from performanceism and perfectionism.
The interview dives into the importance of recognizing sins, self-reflection, and repentance as a way to address and rectify mistakes made in homeschooling. Missy encourages parents to be honest and open with their children about their own flaws and sinfulness, giving them permission to examine and confess their own sins.
- How has your understanding of your own identity been shaped by societal expectations and the search for validation in the wrong places?
- In what ways have you observed parents, homeschooling or otherwise, conflate their own personal worth with the success or failure of their children's education?
- Have you ever experienced a situation where you unintentionally made someone, whether it be a child or someone else, a means to your own success? How did you reconcile and rectify that situation?
- How can we create a safe and transparent environment with our children where they feel comfortable admitting their own flaws and mistakes?
- How do you personally understand and navigate the tension between aiming for excellence in education and guarding against turning it into an idol?
- Reflect on a time when you felt pressure to succeed in a particular area, and how that impacted your sense of self-worth. How were you able to find value in something beyond the pursuit of success?
- Have there been moments in your own parenting or educational journey that served as a wake-up call or learning opportunity, revealing the truth about your own character or need for God's grace?
- How does the concept of recognizing our sins and repenting impact the way we approach our own personal growth and development as parents, educators, or mentors?
- In what ways can our failures and mistakes as parents or educators actually become opportunities for growth and transformation, both for ourselves and for our children?
- How does understanding the historical life, death, and resurrection of Jesus inform and shape the way we approach our homeschooling or educational endeavors? How does it bring liberation and delight to the learning process?
It's not too late to enjoy the Homegrown Generation Family Expo - now at a new, lower price! Register today for lifetime access to every session - and BONUS access to the 2020 conference.
Use the coupon code PODCAST to save 25% when you register today.
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
Be the most popular mom in your co-op. Get your Schoolhouse Rocked merch here.
CTCMath - CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ's power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.