"What an opportunity to be an example for your own family, your own children, but onlookers your colleagues, your coworkers. What an opportunity to be a light in the darkness." — John Stamper
In this thought-provoking episode of the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast, Yvette Hampton welcomes John Stamper, author of Conflicted: Pulling Back the Curtain on Public Education. Join them as they delve into the topic of public school methods, philosophies, and compromises, exploring issues beyond homeschooling and the impact of ideologies in the education system. Discover the significance of understanding history, parental responsibility, and the importance of being informed in this engaging conversation.
Watch this full conversation on our YouTube channel.
Coach John Stamper is the instructor of Physical Education, Strength & Conditioning, and Geocaching at MasterBooksAcademy.com. He graduated from homeschool and achieved a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, Special Education, and P.E. and Health as well as a master’s degree in Leadership and Sports Management. His background in homeschooling, and thirteen years’ experience as a teacher, and coach give him a unique perspective on the issues in public education and the benefits available to homeschool families.
Discussion Questions For the Series:
- What were your initial thoughts and emotions after listening to John Stamper's personal story and experiences concerning public school conflict? How did it make you feel about the current state of education?
- John mentions the significance of understanding why he and his siblings were homeschooled. Discuss the importance of knowing the reasons behind homeschooling and how it can impact a child's education and upbringing.
- John draws parallels between the education systems in countries like Nazi Germany, the USSR, and modern-day America. How do you think these historical examples can inform our understanding of the current state of education in our own country? Are there any specific similarities or differences that stand out to you?
- John describes how education can be both a powerful force for positive change and a tool for indoctrination and control. How do you see this tension playing out in our society today? Are there any specific examples from the media, school board meetings, or classroom settings that come to mind?
- The speaker emphasizes the importance of studying history to learn from past mistakes and successes. How do you think studying history can help us navigate the present and shape the future? Can you think of any historical events or periods that have directly influenced your own understanding of education or certain ideologies?
- John mentions the impact of ideology and certain narratives being introduced in schools through teacher trainings, mandatory meetings, and special events/speakers. Have you personally encountered situations where ideologies or beliefs were being promoted in an educational setting without your knowledge or agreement? How did you handle it?
- John references Mao's policies aimed at dismantling family bonds and the importance of diligently teaching the commandments of the Lord to our children. How do you see the role of faith and spirituality in shaping a child's education and character? How can parents effectively pass down their faith and values to their children in the face of conflicting ideologies?
- The speaker talks about the current division in society and the need for Christians to be a light and example for their families and communities. How do you personally navigate the challenges of being a Christian in today's world? What are some practical ways you can be a positive influence and make a difference in your sphere of influence?
- Reflecting on John's experiences and insights, discuss your own thoughts and convictions regarding the state of education in America. What, if any, changes or actions do you believe are necessary to address the issues raised in this episode?
Podcast Note-Taking Guide
📚📖 Ready to start homeschooling? Download your free Homeschool Survival Kit today!
🍿🍿🍿 Stream Schoolhouse Rocked: The Homeschool Revolution for FREE today!
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Are you in need of a fresh vision for your homeschool? Join us for 4 days of Homeschool Encouragement at the Homegrown Generation Family Expo. Use the coupon code PODCAST to save 25% on registration today!
Conflicted: Pulling Back the Curtain on Public Education, by John Stamper
The State of State Schools Podcast
John Stamper on YouTube
Masterbooks Academy Courses
Answers for Homeschooling: Top 25 Questions Critics Ask, by Israel Wayne
Education: Does God Have an Opinion, Israel Wayne
Demystifying Learning Styles – Tyler Hogan on the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast
Is College Worth It, by William J. Bennett
Getting Started in Homeschooling - Israel Wayne on the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
Be the most popular mom in your co-op. Get your Schoolhouse Rocked merch here.
CTCMath - CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ's power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.