"Whether it was easier or harder, whatever, whether children were fussing with us or happy with us as parents, it was the philosophy and the theology and the desire to be together as a family that really drove us." – Dr. Brian Ray
Yvette Hampton welcomes Dr. Brian Ray, renowned homeschool researcher, from NHERI (National Home Education Research Institute). Discover the eye-opening results of Dr. Ray's studies, which compare public school, private school, and homeschool children. Uncover the reasons why homeschool children outshine their peers in academic achievement and engagement, particularly in the realm of science education. Join us as we delve into the profound impact of homeschooling on children's well-being, social skills, and mental health.
Come back tomorrow for the rest of this important conversation.
Watch this full conversation on our YouTube channel.
Dr. Brian Ray is a leading international expert in research on homeschooling and president of the National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI). He has published numerous articles and books, is interviewed by major media, serves as an expert witness in court cases, and testifies to legislatures regarding education. He is a former university professor and public and private school classroom teacher. He holds a Ph.D. (science education, Oregon State University), a M.S. (zoology, Ohio University), and a B.S. (biology, University of Puget Sound), and is a church leader. Brian and Betsy have been married 44 years, have eight children who were all home educated, run a small farm, and have 19 grandchildren. Dr. Ray really enjoys wandering with Betsy, his wife, and being out in the forests and mountains and on adventures. See research at www.nheri.org.
- How does Dr. Brian Ray's research challenge the perception that homeschooling is inferior to traditional schooling?
- What are some key factors that contribute to the academic success of homeschooled children, according to Dr. Ray's research?
- How does Dr. Ray address concerns about child abuse and neglect in homeschooling families, and what data does he present to support his arguments?
- How does Dr. Ray's personal background and experiences influence his perspective on homeschooling?
- What are some potential drawbacks or challenges of homeschooling that Dr. Ray acknowledges, and how does he address them?
- How has the acceptance and perception of homeschooling changed over the years, according to Dr. Ray?
- How does homeschooling impact the overall well-being and mental health of children, as discussed by Dr. Ray?
- How does Dr. Ray argue that homeschooling can contribute to the improvement of local communities and nations?
- What are some practical strategies and suggestions for parents to prioritize their children's well-being in the midst of societal and technological challenges, according to Dr. Ray?
- In your opinion, based on the information presented by Dr. Ray, what are the major advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling compared to traditional schooling?
It's not too late to enjoy the Homegrown Generation Family Expo - now at a new, lower price! Register today for lifetime access to every session - and BONUS access to the 2020 conference.
Use the coupon code PODCAST to save 25% when you register today.
Has the Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast been a blessing to you? Support from our listeners allows us provide resources, support, and encouragement to homeschooling families around the world. Please consider donating to support Schoolhouse Rocked.
Be the most popular mom in your co-op. Get your Schoolhouse Rocked merch here.
CTCMath - CTCMath specializes in providing online video tutorials that take a multi-sensory approach to learning. Creative graphics and animation, synchronized with the friendly voice of internationally acclaimed teacher, Pat Murray, make learning math easy and effective. Start your free trial today.
BJU Press Homeschool provides complete curriculum for preschool through 12th grade with both traditional textbooks and video courses available. Education from a Christian worldview reshapes how children see the world. BJU Press materials teach Christ's power and lordship through the Big Story of creation.
The Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) equips teachers and teaching parents with methods and materials which will aid them in training their students to become confident and competent communicators and thinkers. Using the Structure and Style™ writing method, IEW will give you the ability to fill young minds with language-building skills, laying the groundwork for a lifetime of excellent writing.
Apologia – Apologia is a Christ-centered, award-winning homeschool curriculum provider. Our mission is to help homeschooling students and families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith through our print and digital curriculum and online classes.
The Schoolhouse Rocked Podcast is proud to be a member of the Christian Podcast Community.